Thursday, October 13, 2005

I just gotta not be me

I'm not much of a holiday person. I don't know if it's because I work most holidays or what, but I just don't get really excited about them. But Halloween is coming up and I'm in need of a costume idea. I don't usually dress up for Halloween; I don't usually need to. The last party I went to where I needed a costume, a few female friends came up with the idea, found the costume and gave it to me. All I had to do was wear it for the party. (I was the Karate Kid, if you were wondering.) But now a friend from work is throwing a big Halloween bash and costumes are required, even for those of us who will be arriving around midnight after work. I suggested that I could go as a copy editor who just got off of work, but that didn't fly. Then I suggested I could be a slutty copy editor who just got off of work, but that quickly got knocked down, too.

The only idea I've come up with so far is going as Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter, and occasionally disappearing during the party, changing into Superman, and coming back, pretending as if I'm a totally different person. I could do something heroic like get a drink for someone, and then rush off, hurry back into the party as Clark Kent and ask, "What did I miss?" And keep doing that sort of thing all night. But I sense this is a better idea in theory than in practice. It would probably be more of a hassle than anything else, and because I'll be getting to the party so late, I think most of the people might be too drunk to appreciate the joke. Plus, while I have a Superman T-shirt, I'm lacking the rest of the ensemble.

So it's come down to this: I'm soliciting suggestions.
If it's something that doesn't require a ton of effort or money -- or me shaving my head -- that would be a plus.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't you keep the Karate Kid outfit?

- Mike S.

BriGuy said...

I did. And I'm not against using it again, but I thought I should at least try not to be lazy and just be the same thing as last year.

Anonymous said...

last year you weren't anything. you were too cool for Halloween last year. I know because you mocked my cat ears.

BriGuy said...

The year before last, Fairy Princess. Whatever...

And Clare, where on Earth will I find a cone-shaped bra that will fit??

Christa said...

the incredible hulk. i know you can pull that off. ... i've seen it. (in my dreams.)

Anonymous said...

Cereal Killer
Attach little cereal boxes to a shirt, cut a slit in the boxes, glue in plastic knives into the holes, drip red paint running down from the knife hole in the box.

Anna said...

Hey Bri-I'm looking for costume ideas, too. But I don't think dressing as a pregnant nun would really fly as a work halloween costume. :)
I saw a guy at a party several years ago in Boston. It was "guy caught in a windstorm." Dress in button-down shirt & tie. Take a wire hanger and bend it all up and put through the bottom of the tie, have it look like it's flying off you up over your shoulder. Gel your hair back the same direction your tie is blowing, and stick a few sheets of crumpled up newspaper to your clothes. It was a great costume and not uncomfortable at all!
You'll have to post pictures no matter what.
-Anna

Abba said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Abba said...

Thanks for mentioning cones, Clare & BriGuy ... and Anna, thanks for mentioning wind ... it jogged my memory.

The best Halloween costume I ever saw was a tornado. Guy dresses in all-black. Makes a cone out of fabric (and cardboard, probably, to give it shape) to fit on top of his head, with the smaller side of the cone to fit like a headband, larger side of the cone toward the ceiling. Affixes tiny toy farm animals, cars, trailers, trees and other detritus to the cone and the rest of his clothing.

BriGuy said...

K-Mac,
I'm going to have to pass on anything that involves a strategically placed spout, I'm afraid. I don't know most of these people THAT well.

Anon.,
An intriguing idea, and I do love cereal, but a little too punny, even for me.

Christa,
I'll always be the Hulk in your dreams, but painting myself green is more trouble than I care for. Although it does bring to mind another idea -- the Jolly Green Giant. Although I don't know why I'd want to do that.

Abba and Anna,
Both intriguing ideas. And Anna, you should never be afraid to be a pregnant nun; I think that would be hilarious. (And congratulations btw!)