Sunday, October 02, 2005

And hold the salmonella

I was making a sandwich before work yesterday when I happened to look at the jar of mayonnaise and realized it had expired in January 2005.

I know, I know: Eeewwwwwww.

It should be noted that I don't use mayonnaise that often, so a small jar can last awhile, but I sniffed the mayo (seemed OK) and then tossed it. I figured I'd been lucky enough until now not to poison myself, no need to push it.

But I started thinking about it later and something is totally amiss with that expiration date. I didn't move until the end of February and I sure as heck didn't move the jar of mayonnaise with me, so I would have bought it at least a month after it supposedly expired -- leading me to believe that either the date was wrong or my local grocery store is selling expired food. (Farm Fresh my ass.)

Makes me glad I largely switched grocery stores -- the one I go to now has a much higher percentage of hotties roaming the aisles and, more importantly (OK, a little less importantly), it's not trying to kill me.

No comments: