Thursday, January 26, 2006

Tiptoeing into the 21st century

I'm no Luddite, but I'm not exactly an early adapter of most technology either. I didn't get a digital camera or cell phone until a year ago, and I still sometimes forget to take the cell phone with me when I leave the apartment. I also firmly believe that just because I usually have it with me doesn't mean I always have to answer it, so clearly I don't really understand the whole concept of a cell phone. But now I'm making further technological process: I've now joined the ranks of iPod owners and iTunes downloaders. I just got a regular, old iPod, no video iPod or Nano. (The people at Best Buy even gave me a discount because it was their last one and they wanted to get rid of it.) I really just want it for long car trips (my car has just a tape deck, not a CD player) and this is just easier than the Discman I usually take with me. I'll probably also use it when I work out. I've been downloading some stuff, but mostly I'm in the midst of the tedious task of downloading all my CDs to my computer so I can transfer the files. Then there's creating playlists and all that. But I'm sure it'll be worth all the work and be a lot more convenient.

So since I'll be using the iPod when I work out, I'm taking suggestions on good workout songs. What gets you moving?

Speaking of which, let's see what's rocking our world lately, shall we?

Hamas appears to have won a majority of seats in the Palestinian parliament. This poses a bit of a problem for the U.S., which has labeled Hamas a terrorist organization. Thank goodness no one in that region holds grudges...

Pope Benedict XVI released his first encyclical and used it to discuss the importance of love. He even talked about sex and the need to enhance physical love with a love of God and one's neighbor. But before you go getting all excited about the neighbor lovin', just remember there's that commandment about not coveting your neighbor's ass. Sorry.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. You should listen to "Eye of the Tiger". Inside sources know you like the Rocky soundtrack. Give in and put it on your IPod.

2. The best part about Hamas winning is that we either have to say "We dont' like your choice but we respect the democratic process" which Bush won't do, or "we" have to basically admit that we dont' really want people to have democracy unless they choose who "we" want.

Dapper Dad said...

Would coveting your neighbor's ass be covered under the 9th or 10th commandment? What if it's their burro?

Abba said...

Here are some of the less-obscure songs on my workout mix:

• Less (Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals)

• 40' (Franz Ferdinand)

• Television, Television (OK GO)

• Lie (Dream Theater) Oh, wait, you're not Rob

• Do The Hippogriff (Radiohead, et. al. from the Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire soundtrack)

• Shooting Dirty Pool (The Replacements)

• Rest In Peace (Buffy The Vampire Slayer musical soundtrack)

Anna said...

You definitely have to have Lunatic Fringe by Red Rider. It's a great song.
Right Now by Van Halen is also a good one. (Remember from the Pepsi Clear ads? Wow I'm old!)

Anonymous said...

Smooth!

mightybob said...

"Vogue" by Madonna gets me going, and just about anything Latin. Don't feel too bad about being technologically behind - most of my workout tunes are on vinyl (and Anna thinks SHE's old...)

BriGuy said...

Thanks for all the suggestions, gang. Keep 'em coming.
1) "Eye of the Tiger" is already on my iPod, Kevin. That was a gimme...
2) Anna, I actually can't listen to that Van Halen song without thinking of the Pepsi Clear ad, though Pepsi would probably prefer we all forget about that flop. It's kind of like I can't hear Lenny Kravitz's "Lady" without associating it with "Alias" because it played on so many commercials for the show.

Anonymous said...

Sorry. Wasn't sure if you'd been able to figure out how to transfer it off of your worn out casette tape version, old man. Just kidding. You may consider the first CD from the Foo Fighters "In Your Honor", Velvet Revolvers' "Contraband" album, and Audioslave's self-titled album. All high powered, fast, good music (though maybe a little hard-rock for you) that makes me quit thinking about pain/how boring working out is.