Sunday, August 28, 2005

Today, I'm a worrier

Normally, I don't spend a lot of time worrying about things, particularly that which is out of my control. But I was already concerned about Hurricane Katrina and the effect it would have on New Orleans last night, when it was a category 3. When I woke up this morning and heard on NPR that the storm had become a category 5 hurricane, it stopped me in my tracks.

As I write this, Katrina has sustained winds of 175 mph -- which basically makes it a gigantic F3 tornado. The city is being evacuated, but 1.3 million people live in the area and I would guess there are tens of thousands of people who don't have the means to leave. Traffic on the main interstate out of town is so jammed it's at a standstill. And while Katrina won't make landfall until tomorrow morning, the weather will get bad late this afternoon. Much of the rest of the Gulf Coast is being evacuated as well. The storm surge is expected to be 25 feet high, much higher than the levees that protect New Orleans -- parts of which are already 20 feet below sea level.

Only two other category 5 hurricanes have hit the U.S. since they started keeping track of these things -- Hurricane Andrew in 1992, which caused $26.5 billion in damage, and Hurricane Camille in 1969, which killed 256 people.

Katrina already killed seven people and dumped 18 inches of rain on Florida -- and that's when it was a category 1. The worst-case scenarios involve New Orleans being under 15 feet of water, possibly for months, with no clean water, no sewage system, no electricity. I cringe to think what the death toll and destruction will be.

I pray I'm wrong.

3 comments:

BriGuy said...

An addendum:
I just heard someone on the radio say, "The surfers in town for the surfing competition wish they were having the waves the Gulf Coast has right now."
Yeah ... cuz it's a big surfing party down there right now ...

Anonymous said...

Only surfers who are like Patrick Swayze's character in the movie point break are looking for that. I remember how bad New Orleans is really prepared for a gigantic hurricane. They've really always managed to get pretty lucky and only get glancing blows from large hurricanes. I just hope that poor city planning doesn't cost them too dearly. -Kevin

Jessica said...

Wow. I had no idea of the magnitude of this thing. Thanks for keeping us updated.