Saturday, August 27, 2005

Random thoughts

The "Batman Begins: Deluxe Edition" is back up on Amazon now -- WOOHOO!!! I ordered it immediately so as not to fall victim to my past mistakes.

I drove up to D.C. this week to visit my brother and friends. There are a lot of things I like about Washington, D.C. -- all the museums, the Metro and the ability to walk so many places. And I especially like the Mall area -- there's almost something going on there. During the day, it's people relaxing, playing or jogging. And after the workday is done, there are baseball games, volleyball games and, I'm told, Ultimate games. I just think that's awesome.
Not so thrilled about gas that costs $2.97 per gallon, though.

And while I'm more a Renaissance period art fan, I also have decided I really like American artist Thomas Cole. I bought postcard images of his series "The Voyage of Life" several years ago, but I had never seen the actual prints until this week at National Gallery of Art. They are, obviously, much better in full-size. You can't see the detail in these screenshots, but the series is made of four paintings: "Childhood," "Youth," "Manhood," and "Old Age." I think maybe when I eventually buy a house, I'll try to get framed prints of it.
I also discovered another painting I really like, related to Thomas Cole, called "Kindred Spirits" by Asher B. Durand.

I also added some intrigue to my culture by visiting the International Spy Museum, which was pretty danged cool and a lot bigger than I thought it would be. But there are a lot of interactive things, so try to go when it's not going to be too crowded.

No comments: