Thursday, October 28, 2004

A trip to the grocery store

I entered Cub Foods this afternoon and got some fruit, something I've been pretty good about buying and eating lately. And then I stood looking at the adjacent section ... the one I never venture into ... the vegetable section. And in a rare moment of adultness, I decided that I'm going to try everything in the vegetable section. I'll simply start at one end, buy one item a week, and give it a try. I'll buy a few so that I can try them a few different ways and I'll see if I like them. I thought I was beginning this foray into the unknown with cilantro, but it ended up being green onions (the cilantro was on the shelf above the green onions). Like I can tell the difference. From what I can ascertain, you usually eat green onions raw but can also grill or saute them. Of course, I have no idea how to saute anything, so I guess I'll stick with grilling and eating it raw.
I'm also going to use my Crock-Pot for the first time since my parents gave it to me several years ago (sorry, Mom and Dad). I've decided to make pot roast, but the recipe called for a boneless pork loin roast, which I couldn't find. I could find a pork loin roast that wasn't boneless and some boneless pork butt roast (yeah, I laughed, too). I opted for the butt roast, even though it's got "butt" in its name. But then again, I originally wanted something with "loin" in its name, so I guess I can't be too judgmental.
I highly recommend Strawberry Burst Cheerios if you haven't tried them. I think they're quite yummy. Just don't let them sit around for terribly long or the frozen-dried strawberries get rubbery.
Does anyone else miss Apple Newtons? They seem to have stopped making them and I mourn their passing every time I see all the packages of other Newton products.

5 comments:

Abba said...

Cilantro is kind of a love-it or hate-it vegetable. It's the leaf of the same plant which gives us the coriander seed. Cilantro is used in foods as varied as salsa and lentil soup. I LOVE cilantro, but my mom thinks it tastes like soap.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm curious how you're going to eat cilantro. I wouldn't recommend you just flop down on the couch and nibble a few sprigs while you watch Smallville. Use it as a garnish or, like Amber said, make some salsa.

To sauté: Melt some butter/margarine in a frying pan, add thing to be sautéed. Flip it around for a bit until it's more brown than it was when you started. Voilà! Sautéed things.

-Reuben

BriGuy said...

I DO remember Mr. Phipps Pretzel Chips. And you're right. They were awesome. I miss them, too, now....
Bummer.

Anonymous said...

What the ... ? I can't believe you were going to start your tour de veggies by starting with an herb and passing it off as a vegetable. Though, it is oddly noble of you to make the effort at all, given your youness. Maybe there's a video game where you can eat veggies. Have you tried Harvest Moon? I once accidentally bought and ate a cake when I was trying to buy a house. Maybe there are vegetables there.

Green onions are good in dip. Of course, because you don't eat veggies with the dip there's little point in making dip, I suppose. Maybe after your Year of the Vegetable, you'll be able to go back and make dip with your green onions. What is next? The Year of the Legume?

R

BriGuy said...

A vegetarian?!? Let's not go too crazy here.
And that IS very exciting about the pudding pops. There are so many good foods that go missing and you don't even realize it until they make their return.
I'm sorry, but fig newtons can't beat apple newtons. No way...