Thursday, June 22, 2006

What would you do-ooo-ooo for an AP stylebook?

The 2006 AP stylebook has been out for a few weeks now. We got copies at work and, like the word geeks we are, pored over the changes. Because I like that new stylebook smell myself, I ordered my own copy from online. Unfortunately, it was delivered via UPS, which thinks that if it doesn't catch me once, it should keep trying later and later in the day. If I were a normal person on a normal work schedule, this would be sound reasoning.

But I'm not.

So after the three delivery attempts failed, as I knew they would, I got to go pick it up from the customer center. I called the number and found the nearest one where my package was supposedly being held. I drove out there to find that it was closed. There were directions to another customer center.

So I drove there...

... only to find that it was, in fact, at the first place I'd been to; they just didn't open until 2 p.m.

So I drove back to the first place after running a couple of other errands.

What was intended to be a 10-minute trip to pick up one package took about an hour.

I like style plenty, but this was a little ridiculous.

No comments: