Wednesday, June 14, 2006

100 things about me: 31-40

31) For most of high school, I would get up at 5 a.m. and either go to the gym or run three or five miles.

32) I always started out the run listening to "Eye of the Tiger."

33) I love that part of the run where you really hit your stride and it just feels like you're flying.

34) Despite that, I don't really like running anymore. I'm not sure why. It's hard on your body, and I just like biking and doing other things more. But I still toy with the idea of running a half-marathon or marathon one day, just to see if I could.

35) I played junior varsity tennis for two years in high school.

36) I was also on the speech and debate team. I mostly did oratory, though I dabbled in all of the other events, as well.

37) The American Legion sponsors an oratorical contest. I ended up second in the nation. The scholarship money from that and winning the various levels up to the national level paid for a very big chunk of college.

38) In college, I was the student speaker at the journalism school's graduation.

39) I still get nervous speaking in front of other people, even in small crowds.

40) When I graduated from high school, I was voted "Most likely to become governor of Colorado." Which was funny because, at the time, I hated politics.

3 comments:

Abba said...

And here I thought I knew you!

BriGuy said...

Well, you know ... I like to keep a little air of mystery. :-)

hlw said...

After seeing you deliver your speech (#38), we all said that you'd be president one day. It would be awesome if that were to happen. Then I could say, "I used to sit with that guy at the 'berg and drink beer. We had class together." OK, so we probably only went to the 'berg together a couple of times, but still - I could say that, and it'd be cool.

What dates will you be in Colorado? I forgot.