Wednesday, June 21, 2006

I can still hear you now

Random observation:
I was getting some work done on my car this afternoon and was sitting in their customer lounge. I couldn't help but notice that when the cell phones of the couple of other people in the room rang, they would answer, then get up from their chairs and -- rather than leave the room -- walk a few feet away and stand and talk, with their back to the rest of the room. I understand the urge; it feels a little more private. But I also couldn't help but laugh because, after all, we were in a room about the size of my bedroom. And they weren't talking quietly. So it's not like taking a few steps in the opposite direction suddenly prevented me from hearing their conversations.

I had to resist the urge to pretend like I suddenly couldn't see them either.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a weird phenomenon. During rush hour when some people answer their phones on the Metro they will turn away from the person closest to them and start talking. Mind you they're still four inches away and probably facing someone else now... but hey... whatever makes them happy.

Anonymous said...

In places where there is nowhere to go and someone must use their phone, I like this as a gesture. It's like the nod of hello when passing someone on the street. This too is at least a nod in the direction of politeness.

I think I'm weakening! Quick! Someone talk on a cell phone so I can make rude comments about them and/or answer the questions not addressed to me.

-Dave

Anonymous said...

But it always works so well on television! See what years of subtle conditioning brings?