Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Working through the laughter

I was at the gym today doing some cardio when a camera crew from a local TV news station came to visit. I didn't know what they were doing at the time, but apparently, there's riveting news in the sock world. Of course, I can't make too much fun because it's the University of Missouri that's on the leading edge of sock technology. (Go Tigers!)

Anyhow, besides shooting random footage of people, they ended up interviewing this really hot girl that was on a treadmill near me. Unfortunately, the way the camera was placed put me squarely in the background. So I spent half of my workout trying not to look:
a) lazy
b) at the camera
c) like a total idiot
d) too sweaty and gross

I really can't stand seeing myself on video (one of the reasons I decided against going into broadcast news) and was trying to resist the urge to suddenly flee. But by the time I realized what was going on, it was too late, and I thought it would be odd and distracting if I suddenly got off the cardio machine in the middle of their interview. So I kept on doing my thing, trying not to laugh or smile because I was amused by the situation. Of course, then I started thinking about funny things that might happen while the camera was on.

In my head: "Man, it would be funny if she fell off the back of that treadmill in the middle of the interview."
(Resisting grin)
"No. No, it wouldn't. That's not funny."
(slight smile)
"OK, it kind of is."
(full-fledged smirk)
"Geez! Stop doing that!! You're going to look like an idiot on TV."
(look out window until I can get myself under control)
"I wonder what would happen if I fell off the back of this thing."
(amused look)
"Hmm ... I don't think I can fall off an EFX machine. Even if I tried."
"Still, it's a funny thought."
(slight grin)
"I could be like those idiots you always see in the background and start waving at the camera. That would probably piss the news people off, though. Plus, I don't want to look like a doofus in front of the hot girl."
(glance out of the corner of my eye at hot girl)
"DUDE! What are you doing?!?! It's gonna look like you're checking out that girl and it's gonna be on TV!! That was stupid."
(force myself to look back at magazine)
"I wonder if they're done yet?"
(do a half-glance in their direction)
"COME ON!!! You are totally hopeless. Stop it. Stop it now."

And so it went.

I happened to catch the segment on TV this afternoon. I was indeed on camera but somewhat out of focus in the background and not doing anything idiotic or embarrassing. The interview part of the story was mercifully short.

But next time, I think I'll just flee.

3 comments:

hlw said...

LOL! You provide much laughter for me at work :)

nanners said...

you should have mooned the camera. girls love that.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jana. Should've shown her how you flout convention and authority _on a regular, scheduled basis_.