Sunday, March 12, 2006

Lightning strikes

So I had the bowling fundraiser this morning. It was at 9 a.m. and a bit of a drive away, so I woke up at 7 a.m. after about four or fewer hours of sleep. We bowled three games. I was with four other guys from work, though I didn't really know any of them, so it was a little awkward at first. But it was a good group, and we more or less bonded by the end of it. And, of course, because we're guys, there was some good-natured competitiveness.

In the first game, I sucked. I barely broke 100 and just beat out another guy for not-last-place in our group. But halfway through the second game (about the time I would normally be waking up, incidentally), I hit my groove. I closed the game out with six strikes in a row.

Yes, SIX.

I finished the game with a new personal record of 191.

The third game had a pretty hum-drum start, but it ended up a bit above average at 136 thanks to three strikes in a row in the 10th frame. (I had 10 strikes between the last two games.)

So while I may not exactly be consistent, I did kind of feel like the Joe Nathan of bowling. And I'll take being a closer any day.

7 comments:

Autumn said...

Most impressive. :-)

nanners said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
nanners said...

six strikes in a row? you never bowled that well in duluth. but klaus did.

Anonymous said...

Hey there. Does our esteemed Halo opponent, Klamath, have a blog? Is it the newly redesigned Mecha Nations? Just wondering so I can go post notes on someone else's blog?

R

Christa said...

is six consecutive strikes a double turkey? i love bowling terms.

Anonymous said...

Brian: Six strikes in a row is indeed very impressive. The most I've ever gotten is half that, and that was when I was, like, eight years old. I was a much better bowler then.

R: Yes.

BriGuy said...

R, as Reuben points out, yes, that's him.

Christa, I just looked at some glossary terms and apparently once I hit the 7th frame, I went "all the way." Which makes me feel a little dirty.

Four or five strikes in a row is a four-bagger or five-bagger, but six in a row is apparently a sixpack.

Alas, it's the only kind of sixpack I'll ever have...