Tuesday, June 07, 2005

The case of the disappearing oil

Yes, believe it or not, I'm still trying to post things other than the news in a nutshell. I just haven't been too good about that lately. Sorry.

Anyhow, I went to get my oil changed last week and the mechanic looked at it and said, "There's nothing in here."

"Excuse me?" I said, somewhat incredulously.

"It's empty. You've got no oil." And he showed me. Sure enough, no oil.

This was vexing for several reasons, not the least of which was the possibility of my engine seizing up and my bank account emptying out. I had just checked the oil about two weeks ago and it was fine.

I hadn't noticed any leaks. I park in the same spot in front of my apartment building everyday, and I later confirmed that there was not, in fact, any oil leaking. This leaves the option that the car is burning oil. But it seemed like I would notice it burning that much oil, as well, what with all the smoke and rank smell that would accompany it.

So I took it to the local Saturn dealership to see what was the matter. I've not been impressed with them in the past, but they were nearby, so I figured what the heck.

After about two hours, I was reminded why I don't like them.
Their solution: They put some more oil in it and said to come back in 500 miles and they could see if it was leaking or anything.

Like I couldn't have done that myself.

That was last Wednesday. I checked the oil level again today and it's fine. Totally fine.

There are some people who will tell you that a car is a lot like a woman -- treat them well and take care of them, and they'll do the same for you. But there's another similarity:

I don't understand either one of them.

3 comments:

Charlie said...

I thought it was because they're both expensive to maintain and you still never quite know what's going on under the hood.

But I like yours better.

Abba said...

Hmmm, come to think of it, I'm a lot like my car: Low-maintenance, flashy exterior and completely reliable. And with a few minor quirks, but nothing to diminish the overall value.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I thought they were both black holes for money and emotion.

BH of Tampa