Sunday, March 27, 2005

Put me in coach -- I'm ready to play ...

("Centerfield" lyrics by John Fogerty)

I've joined a fantasy baseball team with some former co-workers and we had our draft yesterday. I think it went pretty well considering that I don't really know what I'm doing and have now committed myself for an entire season to following statistics and the list of injured players and starters and a bunch of things I never really paid any attention to before. I did some research before the draft and tried to make my picks wisely. But truth be told, I was very tempted to draft players based on the quirkiness of their names. My favorite pick was an outfielder named Coco Crisp. I was also would have liked to have drafted the following: Albert Pujhols (pronounced poo-holes), Chipper Jones and David DeJesus. I also got Troy Percival, which is just a cool name.

In other sporting news, I was pleasantly surprised on Friday to find that in the office's NCAA pool, I've actually got a decent shot with one of my brackets. (The other is waaaay down at the bottom of the rankings.) I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but it's pretty exciting nonetheless and made both of Saturday's games rather nerve-wracking because I bet on Illinois and Louisville to make it to the Final Four (and Illinois to win it all).

I should mention that it's technically illegal to bet on college sports and so, of course, there's no money involved in the office pool. (Just as I'm sure there's not in your office.) But if there were , I could have a shot at winning almost $1,500. (It's a big office.)

Gee, if only we had bet money...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you mean, "Put me in, couch"? You realize it's just fantasy baseball right? It's not real.

R

nanners said...

Funny thing. I know office pools are frowned upon and slightly illegal, but everyone does them anyway. Even so, would you allow results of and opinions about your own office pool to be published in a sports commentary section of your newspaper? Mine did. He named people who were doing well, including our exec. editor. I polled a few people in the newsroom who agreed that it was a bad idea after they actually thought about it. But since the press was already running, no one seemed too concerned. This should not have been done, right? Or am I being too uptight for a small community daily?

Anonymous said...

Jana - Read Briguy's next posting and then think long and hard about whether you really want to ask advice like that of this man (or those who read him).

R