Thursday, January 27, 2005

Waiting

I was supposed to hear about the Virginia job Wednesday. The woman I interviewed with said she would call, but I haven't heard anything yet.

It's the story of my life. Women say they'll call; they never do.

At first I figured maybe she was just busy with work or something. That's understandable. But then I started thinking: What if something happened to her? Or what if she lost my number somehow?
So I decided to send an e-mail. Just a quick note saying hi and wondering if she'd made a decision yet. Nothing big.

No response.

I started to worry. Maybe she was having computer difficulties and couldn't get her e-mail. Or maybe somehow it hadn't gotten through because of problems on my end.

I decided to call her.

Just to be safe, I called her at work AND at home. I didn't get her either place, so I left a message both places:
"Hey, this is Brian. I hadn't heard from you yet, so I was just checking to make sure that everything's OK. I really enjoyed meeting you last week. Anyhow, just in case you lost my contact information, let me give you my home phone number and my work number again...."

An hour later, still nothing.

"Hey, it's Brian again. Is this answering machine working OK? I hope so. I don't mean to keep bugging you, but like I said before, I had a really good time before and I really think things could work out well with this new job. So let me know if you need anything else ... or if you have any more questions for me or anything. Maybe I'll give you my e-mail address again, just in case you need it ..."

An hour after that:
"Hey, it's you know who. Geez, I sure hope you're not dead in a ditch somewhere or something. Anyway, I'm sorry about all the other phone calls earlier. I don't mean to sound too desperate or anything, because I'm not. I just had some down time at work and thought I'd call and all. Anyway, I didn't mean to seem overbearing or anything. Because I'm totally not like that. I'm a really laid-back, easy-going guy, and I really think I'd fit in there and everything. And did I mention ... "

"Uh, hey, it's Brian again. I think your machine cut me off on the earlier message. So, be honest -- is it me? It's me, isn't it? I came on too strong. I tried to play it cool, tried to be all suave and act like I was interested in the job, but not TOO interested. Maybe that was the problem -- I played too hard to get. I didn't mean to be aloof. I really was interested. I swear. And I thought there was a connection there. Didn't you feel it, too? You felt it, right? ... Right?"

An hour later:
(sobbing) "Whatever I did to offend you, I'm sorry. Please, just talk to me. We can work this out, I swear we can. Just tell me what I did wrong and how I can fix it, and I'll do it. I promise. What can I do? Please, just talk to me. Just give me a call. Hey, here's my number again...."

Another hour passes:
(Drunkenly) "Dooo yooouuu think you're better than me?!?! Is that it?!!? You think you'rrrreee bettteerrrrr than meeeee????" (click)

Well, at least that's the way it happened in my head.
We'll see how tomorrow goes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't see a problem with this. I think it's a well-formulated, fool-proof plan. Way to go!

R

Anonymous said...

Brian, it's not fair to record my phone calls to you and then use them for your own purposes.

JLH

Christa said...

you should pop into a slutty outfit and drive down there. do a couple spins around the block to see if the lights are on and then just suck it up and knock. sometimes someone has to see desperation on your face to really understand that you mean business.

Anonymous said...

Have you considered calling her at home about 2am. If you hang up when she answers, you know she got the messages and it is you, otherwise, keep calling. :)