Monday, January 17, 2005

Dear Netflix

Dear Netflix,
There's no easy way to say this, so I'll just come right out with it:

I think we need to go our separate ways.

I'm sorry to be so blunt. But it's not you, it's me. I know people say that all the time, but it really is true. I just couldn't put the time into the relationship that it needed. I mean, we've been together for what -- three months? And I've only watched five movies. It's not fair to either of us for me to put so little effort into this.

I appreciate how hard you've worked to keep us together though. You gave me the discount price when we first hooked up. (I don't mean that to sound so dirty.) And then you lowered your price, when you knew you had competition that could lure me away. And when I told you that it was over, you even offered me a deal -- something that would require less commitment -- fewer movies per month for an even lower price. But I think it's better if we just walk away.

Plus, and I'm reluctant to tell you this but I will in the interest of being totally honest: There's someone else. It's Gamefly. Sure, I've been ignoring its video games lately, too, but I'm going to try to stick with it and make it work.

I'm sorry that we can't do that same.

So thanks for the memories Netflix -- the good ones, like "Run, Lola, Run" and "Seven," and even the bad ones ("The Fearless Vampire Killers" was pretty horrible, wasn't it?). I'm sorry we couldn't make it work, but I wish you the best. And maybe, somewhere down the road of life, when I've moved and have less of a social life and more free time than I've got now, our paths will cross again. I know -- it makes it sound like I'm using you. But I know you're just in it for the money, so I don't think you'll mind.

Brian

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Brian,
Please don't go. I love you. I need you. I can change. I can be funnier or more dramatic. I can. Please, Brian, I need you. I need you to protect me from Blockbuster. Please don't go.
Please!

XO,
Netflix

Anonymous said...

Brian - I am saddened that you're not going to be able to work it out with Netflix. It seemed like you two would be so happy together... but I have to admit, I did notice when Netflix started going out with other customers. We just couldn't bring ourselves to tell you about it back then. In fact, I think Netflix has been around the block a few times, if you know what I mean.

Also, I am saddened that you saw The Fearless Vampire Killers. Classically goofy movie by Roman Polanski... and I think it's the last movie Sharon Tate ever did before she was murdered by Charles Manson's gang. Now it's a little more creepy, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Oops, I guess not. Looks like there were at least 5 other films after that. My bad.