Monday, February 06, 2006

Well ... crap

I awoke yesterday morning to find my bathtub full of sewage. Though it was not before I flushed the toilet and it, too, backed up. I called the emergency maintenance number for my apartment complex and about an hour later, a guy showed up. Apparently, everyone else on the first floor was having the same problem. He figured they'd have it fixed shortly. So I played some video games and bided my time as I watched them outside using a snake to try to clear out the pipes.

Unfortunately, my bladder was less patient. Eventually, I got my stuff together and headed to the YMCA, where I could exercise a bit, shower before work, and, oh yeah, use the bathroom. I went to work figuring the problem would be solved by the time I got home, though not looking forward to the prospect of having to heavily disinfect my bathroom.

Alas, when I got home about 1 a.m., there was a note stuck to my door -- "Work not completed. We have to dig up line to main sewer. Call this number as soon as you get home."

Well, that didn't sound promising.

I went into my bathroom, and while there was no longer a brew of feces in bathtub, there were holes in the wall, pipes cut out and my toilet had been removed. I didn't call the number, as I figured the guy hadn't planned on me not seeing the note until 1 a.m., and they obviously knew about it, so what were they going to do. I sucked it up and dealt with it.

Luckily, I had gone to the bathroom before leaving work.

I awoke this morning to them knocking on the door. Apparently they had worked 13 hours on it yesterday. He's working on it again now. Although now he's removed the mirror to get to more of the wall. I have no idea what, exactly, they're trying to do, but he's promised it'll get done today and he'll clean up the mess.




As for me, I'm off to the Y.

7 comments:

nanners said...

ick. you have my sympathy. you could always pee in the bushes in front of your terrace.

hlw said...

Remind me to NEVER complain about my day getting off to a rough start—hope it gets all taken care of quickly!

Anonymous said...

And I thought I was having a crappy day...;) (Hey, someone had to say it).
-BD

Anonymous said...

That sucks. But be glad you rent and don't own. If you did, you'd get the pleasure of paying for it, too!

R

mightybob said...

Whoah, this is totally a flashback from Romania...

Anonymous said...

I'd say Holy Crap... but I'm guessing your bathrooom hasn't been blessed by the local priest lately. ba da ching! I hope that you return to a functioning bathroom that's in one piece tonight.

hlw said...

The water in my apartment was slightly brown this morning. I’m praying – literally – that it is not quite the adventure as your plumbing problems have been! Couldn’t help but think of your Blog…