Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Video game players only love you when they're playing

... I don't actually know what the title of this post means, but it struck me as funny. Weird funny or ha-ha funny -- I'm not sure.

At any rate, on GigMatrix, Rob references a great commentary piece about the controversy over video games and their effect on children. Give it a read. I think the point about games becoming more complicated and mentally stimulating is a valid one. Of course, so is the point about obesity, but hey, there are games for that, too. At any rate, there is a definite learning curve to video games and that must count for something.

In other entertainment news, I finally saw "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" last week and it totally rocked the house. If anyone knows of an opening for a totally cool, kick-butt assassin, I'd like to apply. And while I still don't quite understand all the fuss about Angelina Jolie, I can kind of see the appeal. And I have to admit, if I had a man-crush, it might very well be on Brad Pitt.

I'm secure enough to admit that.

I also saw "Fantastic Four" today for no particular reason than it beat doing anything outside because somehow the Earth and the sun seem to have gotten their temperatures mixed up. It was not particularly good. I actually agree with everything Reuben said -- the best part was the trailer for "Transporter 2."

They kept giving little science lessons during the movie but then their big climactic battle relies on The Human Torch going "supernova," which really just looks like a tornado of fire, while The Invisible Girl creates a force field around it to protect Earth from being destroyed. But the whole time I kept thinking: "What does science tell us happens to fire when it's put in an airtight container? Wouldn't Johnny eat up all the oxygen in the forcefield, thus extinguishing the flame and causing himself to suffocate? It seemed like there might have been an opening at the top of the forcefield, but then why didn't everyone burn up? And if Susan can only bend the light around her anyhow, how does that create forcefields? And why does going supernova only kind of melt the asphalt in the road? That thing whole area should be freakin' lava. Maybe when they said The Human Torch could go 'supernova,' what they meant was 'really hot oven.' "

Whoa. Sorry, I kind of geeked out there for a minute.

I also saw "Zoolander" for the first time today and didn't really get it. I mean, parts of it were funny, but for the most part -- eh. I don't see what all the fuss is about. (Oh ... snap.)

Also, is it overindulgent to buy a whole pie for one's self? I ... er, I mean, I have a friend who went to the grocery store today and bought himself an entire chocolate meringue pie on a whim. It's not to take to any sort of function and no one is coming over. It's just to snack on. He feels sort of gluttonous on the one hand. But on the other ...

Mmm ... chocolate pie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um. I don't think the lack of applying scientific theories/laws to that movie was its biggest problem. I'd be more inclined to point to lack of plot and lame-o dialog. But that's just me.

Also. Please send piece of pie.

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad about the pie. I'll make a whole totino's cardboard party pizza and serve myself three pieces. Then I'll go back for one more, then one more, then one more, until I've eaten the whole thing. Then I sit like a sullen child as I watch my tummy expand.