Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The season of lint

Two unrelated things first:
1) I'm going to try to do news of note tomorrow sometime, I swear.
2) Check out GigMatrix for my thoughts on the movie "Wedding Crashers."

Now for the main event:

Awhile back at work, somehow we got on the topic of people who make art out of lint. I think I must have scoffed at the idea, or at least expressed skepticism. But the A1 designer that night promised he would give me a piece of lint art if I slotted a story that would help him get his page proofs out before the local designer. I did, though not because of the lint bribe, and promptly forgot about it.

But now, a couple of months later, I get this from him:




And it's even framed. (It's abstract, in case you were wondering.)

And because of I doubted the power of lint to become art, one of the night metro editors decided she would create an homage to me in lint:




She apologized that the chin is weak -- she ran out of lint -- and said that she knows my eyes aren't blue, but that was the lint she had.

I choose to be flattered.

So let me admit publicly that dryer lint can indeed be made into art if you're crazy ... I mean, crafty.

No, I meant crazy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

CRAFTY!!!!!! I am definitely jealous of your art lint. I want some!!!! Perhaps a lint sculpture. And now your walls in your apt have art!!! You should get some gallery lighting. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

Also as an aside ... I've washed my red rugs and totally saved the lint to send to aforementioned designer/nite metro.

Tomorrow I'm washing my yellow rubber duckie bath mat ... here's hoping for more cool lint. =)

Anonymous said...

I know someone who uses cool colored lint to create the color in homemade paper.