Sunday, July 31, 2005

Playing with my food

Here's an interesting experiment to try:

Take a small, airtight Tupperware-like container and fill it with pineapple slices. Put the lid on and make sure it's sealed well. And then wait. After awhile (about an hour, depending on the size of the container and the amount of pineapple), it will blow its top. And not like in an "oops, did I leave this container open because the top is slightly ajar" sort of way. It launches off of there in a "HOLY CRAP! Someone's gonna lose an eye!" sort of way. And with a very large "POP" to boot.

I discovered this tonight at work, and the first time, no one paid much attention and I'm not sure they believed me when I mentioned what happened. So I sealed it back up and put it more prominently on my desk. Sure enough, about an hour or so later, the pineapple went off, jolting half the copy desk. It was like a really cool party trick.

I'm guessing the pineapple releases some sort of gas or something that builds pressure in the container over time, but it makes me a little nervous about eating pineapple now. I mean, eat too much and who's to say my head doesn't just explode or something?

On the other hand, I could totally take this trick on the road.
"Come one, come all! See the amazing jumping pineapples! You won't believe your eyes!*"

Pineapples ... man, those are some feisty fruits.


*Not responsible for lost or damaged eyes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

why do you have to be so cute?