Monday, February 14, 2005

The end of an era

Well, my last day of work at the paper was Saturday. On Friday, we had a nice little farewell gathering with Capt. Dusty McAwesome giving a nice speech and presenting me with a kickball that had been signed by everyone (many of us played regular kickball games during the summer) and a Pacman-shaped cake.
Last night after work, many of us went out bowling and then to the bar. Because I had lost a bowling bet, I also had to drink -- something for which I have little tolerance or desire. The result was nausea, a little drunkenness, a quick end to the drinking and a reaffirmation of why I don't do it.
Today involved us playing video games, eating BBQ and playing poker -- three things every day should include.
The week will continue like this, with small celebrations and final get-togethers -- mixed with a lot of packing and other random moving errands. It's a funny thing, saying goodbye. While I'm not sad to leave my job, I'm sad to leave the place and the people. While I look forward to the times and challenges ahead, I also look back with fondness and a sense of longing.
As Dusty has said, we were living in a Golden Age, and we didn't even know it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Lord. Are you still here?

mvs