Thursday, November 18, 2004

Veggie Tales

I forgot to mention: My experience with the yuca root was mixed. At the suggestion of a couple of friends, I decided to turn them into potato chips (but, ya know, yuca chips). They tasted alright, but were very hard. It was weird. I'm not sure if this was a result of how I made them, or if yuca root is not as prone to being made into a chip as potatoes. Either way, I think potatoes are generally easier to deal with.
My next vegetable from the store: asparagus.
I'll take any suggestions on how to cook 'em up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't like asparagus but was forced to eat it often as a kid because we grew it. It was boiled in just enough water to cover it. I only liked them when they were mushy and didn't crunch at all between the old teeth.

R

Jessica said...

And before you steam or fry them, cut off the ends, maybe about an inch or so, because they and hard and stringy and nasty, even when cooked. (And I thought I was just a freak for noticing the asparagus-pee connection!!)

Abba said...

Like most vegetables, asparagus are a love-em or hate-em. I recently had them deep-fried with ranch dressing. They didn't taste much different than any other deep-fried vegetable. Anyhow. If you haven't yet mastered the elusive skill of sauteeing, just coat them with olive oil, put them in a oven-proof dish and bake until, well, hot.