Saturday, April 02, 2005

Spring forward to a flashback

Lest you forget, turn your clocks ahead one hour at 2 a.m. Sunday morning....

As far as the flashback rodent story, during college I lived in a duplex. One semester, a friend of mine decided to sublet from one of my roommates because he was in France. She brought with her a pet hamster that she would let run around in her room at night. It wasn't a problem because the door was closed and he would always go back to his cage in the morning.

That is, until one morning when she woke up and he wasn't there. We searched and found no sign of him. She left out food, and we hoped that he would eventually find his way back. It should be noted that she lived in one of the upstairs bedrooms, while I lived in the downstairs one. A few nights later, I heard an eerie scratching in my room. I finally realized where it was coming from: inside my closet wall.

The next morning:
Me: "Anne Marie, I think I found your hamster."
AM: "GREAT! Where is he?"
Me: "In the wall of my closet."
AM: (spit take) "WHAAAA??!?!?!"

We finally deduced that the hamster had crawled into Anne Marie's walk-in closet, which connects to the crawl space and he had been stupid enough to fall/crawl into one of the holes in the floor and had fallen down an entire story (which, for a hamster, must be like falling off a 20-story building) and managed to land, alive, in the area of the wall in my closet.

Anne Marie, Reuben and I dropped some food down the hole and tried to think of ways to get him out. We made a little makeshift ladder, but it wasn't long enough. We tried leaving string down, hoping maybe he had turned into a commando hamster of some kind who could shinny his way up it. We would have built a little hamster escalator if we knew how.
But we were stuck.

Finally, with heavy hearts, we decided there was nothing we could do. He was on his own and would probably die down there.

A couple of nights after that, we were having dinner with a couple of friends and relayed the story of the trapped hamster and what we had decided. One of our friends, in his thick Southern drawl, exclaimed loudly:

"LORD ALMIGHTY!! THAT THING'S GONNA REEK WHEN IT DIES!!!!
YOU GOTTA GET IT OUTTA THERE!!"

Anne Marie and I looked at each other.
The smell. We hadn't even thought to consider how bad a smell it might make; it was just a little hamster after all.

But he was right.
We had to get it out.

I immediately left the table and grabbed a hammer and a screwdriver. I knocked on the wall several times trying to figure out where the hamster was so as not to impale the very creature I was trying to save. Like POWs, I rapped, he scratched and we managed to communicate. I used the hammer and screwdriver to create a small, rectangular opening low in the closet wall. After I had done this, we grabbed some thick gloves so the little rodent wouldn't bite anyone. You would think the hamster would be happy to see his saviors and the light of day, but no. It took a lot of coaxing and some food to finally get him where we could grab him and bring him to safety.

Not since Baby Jessica was removed from the well had there been so much rejoicing.

The next day, I bought a flat wall panel and glued it to the wall over the hole. It blended in perfectly. I doubt anyone has ever thought twice about it.

I'm happy to say that the hamster spent the rest of its days with a bit of celebrity, being the wonder hamster who had miraculously cheated death.

Well, until Christmas break when he died of natural causes.
He was buried in a shallow grave behind the duplex and now probably haunts the residents of 1811 Juniper Circle who keep wondering why, late at night, they hear scratching in the walls.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is one of the funniest stories I've ever heard (sorry I guess I should introduce myself, I followed a random chain of three blog rolls from a friends website in an effort to stave off boredom...it worked).

Anyway, seven years ago I bought a fish, a goldfish to be exact. Having had goldfish as I kid I was fully confident in the fact that my goldfish would have a lifespan of about six months. I figured it would be a great way to have a 'pet' without having to worry about what to do with it over summer break.

Seven years later, the appartment has been passed from friend to friends sibling and the fish lives on! The goldfish hasn't left the appartment (every new person who moves into the appartment mistakenly believes that they too are committing to living with a fish for at most six months)and I'm begning to wonder if the little table in the kitchen where it lives is a time vortex or something, but now I wonder if super-hampster hasn't been reincarnated as Franchesca the fish.

BriGuy said...

A 7-year-old goldfish?!? I don't know what kind of water you're putting in that tank, but you need to bottle it and sell it...

(Thanks for visiting my blog and introducing yourself, by the way. I'm always flattered when people I don't know read it.)

Anonymous said...

I forgot about the little ladder. That Scooter (or whatever its name was) survived the Wall Ordeal only to succumb to "natural causes" (starvation, as I recall) is a shame. A damn shame.

BriGuy said...

Hmmm....
It appears Tery has had a lot of bad experiences with drugs bought over the Internet.
Surprising...
If we can't trust the spammers, who can we trust?

Autumn said...

I was telling someone about the hamster just the other day! But somehow I either didn't know or forgot that you were going to leave him in there. In my version, Brian, you were willing to chop into your closet right away. :-)