Monday, October 23, 2006

Running ... Man ...

I vowed after not preparing for last year's 5K race that I would train at least a little for this year's. I didn't.

I ended up walking all of the race Saturday past about mile 1. It was in the local botanical gardens, which was a nice setting. I don't know why everyone was in such a hurry. Me? I'm a stop and smell the flowers kind of guy. So I decided to take my time.

There was also the fact that I made a poor choice in footwear. I chose a pair of running shoes that I had forgotten hadn't been broken in yet. The jabbing pain of the shoes reminded me about half a mile in. I ended up taking a good hunk of skin off of my right foot and gave myself a nice big blister on the left by the time I was done. At least if I wasn't fast, I was bleeding. It made me feel a little manlier.

Plus, I think a lot of people forgot about the fable of the tortoise and hare. Sure, I may have been going slowly, but if any of those runners had stopped to take a nap, I totally would have passed them on my way to the finish line.

No comments: