Friday, November 11, 2005

Playing in the shallow end of the pool hall

I went to a new place last night with a friend from work who was writing up a short little piece on where to go to play pool. It's basically a pool hall/sports bar. It has more than a dozen pool tables, about 30 TVs showing hockey or football, skeeball and other arcade games, food (including pizza by the slice) and ... barely-of-age waitresses dressed as cheerleaders.

I believe my initial comment of disbelief was: "They dress their waitresses as cheerleaders?? Seriously?!?!?" Granted, they were wearing low-slung, hip-hugging pants rather than cheerleading skirts, providing an iota of modesty, but it did little to hide the preponderance of lower-back tattoos of the girls who mostly looked too young to be serving alcohol. But then again, most of the people in the place looked like they were in high school to me, which probably means they were in college.

My friend at one point wanted to flag down our waitress but almost grabbed the wrong one. After she dismissed the wrong waitress, she turned to me and whispered: "They all look pretty much the same; I can't tell the difference."

So yeah, it was sort of like a slightly less skeezy version of Hooters in a way.

But they had food and pool that you pay for by the hour, which I've been missing for a while. The music that was playing seemed to be the soundtrack from my high school days, which was a little weird, but cool because I knew all the words to the songs.

I also managed to prove that while I can be one ball short of running the table on the first turn, I will still regress to my habit of sinking the cue ball at inopportune times.

But at least I was able to scratch my pool-playing itch as well...

No comments: